Mary Plantation, House, 5539 State Highway 39, Braithwaite, Plaquemines Parish, LA
1995 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: It is not known exactly when Mary Plantation was built, though the land 7 leagues below New Orleans on the left bank of the Mississippi River, was originally settled by the Chaouchas Indians. Early European habitation was recorded on a 1723 French colonial map of Louisiana. According to the America State Papers, a prominent Frenchman, Louis Martin Bragnier de Clouet, a critical figure in the development of New Orleans and the land below it, acquired this track of land in 1774 from a complete Spanish land grant.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N193
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1271
Survey number: HABS LA-1250-A
Building/structure dates: ca. 1828
Building/structure dates: 1947 Subsequent Work