Matthew Mappin House, County Route U, Goss, Monroe County, MO
Significance: Began as a two-room log cabin. Within a decade, Mappin had half-a-dozen children, and he had achieved prominence in the local government of Monroe County. Around 1840, to accommodate the increase in his family and his status, he built a two-story house, with some Greek Revival stylistic references, at one end of the original cabin, which was left to be a rear service wing. The log section was torn down in the 1890s by a subsequent owner, who constructed in its place a larger one-story rear section. With its history of several remodelings, the Mappin House spans three periods of building, technology and taste: the frontier log cabin, the heavy-timbered vernacular Greek Revival house, and the light-framed late Victorian extension.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-73, FN-74
Survey number: HABS MO-1207
Building/structure dates: 18q2 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1840 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1894 Demolished
Building/structure dates: 1894 Subsequent Work