Medford Soo Line Depot, 109 West State Street, Medford, Taylor County, WI
Significance: This depot is the only remaining railroad station in Taylor County, and the third station to stand on the same site in the City of Medford. It was built by the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railroad Company (Soo Line) as a "combination first class" station, with facilities for both passengers and freight business but no living space for the depot agent. Company blueprints indicated that nearly identical stations were built at about the same time in the cities of Park Falls and Thorp, Wisconsin. Near the center of Medford's Main Street business district and close behind a line of commercial buildings, the depot and its physical setting clearly illustrate the critical link between railroad transportation and the early development of Medford. The depot marks the Wisconsin Central Railroad Company's original line from Stevens Point to Ashland, the fist public transportation into Taylor County and northwestern Wisconsin, which arrived in Medford in July, 1873.
Survey number: HABS WI-327