Memorial Hall, Memorial Road, Deerfield, Franklin County, MA
- Upscale 2x2048x1612
Significance: The first building of the Deerfield Academy, occupied by them nearly 80 years; for another 80 years the home of a museum noted for its study and preservation of local history and associated artifacts. The first building of Deerfield Academy was erected in 1797-8 from plans attributed to Asher Benjamin. Substantial additions and enlargements were made in 1810. It was converted into an historical museum in 1879, and continues to be owned and occupied by the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association. The front portion was built first, two stories high with cupola. In 1810 a third story was added and a three-story rear wing built to accommodate boarders. In 1879 the corbel cornice was added and the roof raised.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-181
Survey number: HABS MA-646
Building/structure dates: 1798 Initial Construction