Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
Middletown Preparative Friends Meeting House, Middletown Road, 1 mile north of Pennell Road (Route 452), Lima, Delaware County, PA

Middletown Preparative Friends Meeting House, Middletown Road, 1 mile north of Pennell Road (Route 452), Lima, Delaware County, PA



Significance: In 1888, the Middletown Preparative Meeting House was significantly altered for the second time in order to conform to changing patterns of meeting house development. Middletown Meeting House was begun as early as 1702 as a single-cell, three-bay, central entry structure typical of the rural meeting houses of the Delaware Valley during the early settlement period. During the 1790s, the building was doubled in size through the addition of a second apartment to better accommodate separate men's and women's business meetings. The resulting two-celled structure was in keeping with the newly established prototype for American Friends meeting house design which consisted of a six-bay-long structure with equally sized apartments for men and women, each with its own entryway. In the 1880s, the meeting house was reconfigured, creating a more church-like appearance and orientation. This last change reflects a tendency that began in the late nineteenth century within some Friends meeting to adopt elements of mainstream ecclesiastic architecture. Middletown is among the oldest Friends Meetings in what was originally Chester Quarter. An indulged meeting for worship began in the home of John Bowater in 1686. In 1700, the Middletown Friends purchased land with the intention of establishing a burial ground and building a meeting house. While much of the early structure has been obscured by the changes made during the late nineteenth century, evidence of its eighteenth-century appearance is clearly visible in the attic. The remnants of the early structure include a barrel-vaulted ceiling and one of its eighteenth-century windows.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N827
Survey number: HABS PA-6655
Building/structure dates: ca. 1702 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1792- ca. 1797 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1888 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after. 1950- before. 1960 Subsequent Work



Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Bowater, John
Taylor, Israel
Register, William
Eachus, Virgil
Yarnall, William
Hoopes, Seth
Sharpless, Nathan
Passmore, Jesse
Yarnall, Eli
Sharpless, Thomas
Worrall, John
Hill, John
Yarnall, Caleb
Leonard, John Edwards
Price, Virginia Barrett, transmitter
Boucher, Jack E, photographer
Lavoie, Catherine C, historian
Larkin, Cleary, delineator
McGrath, James, delineator
Willard, Kelly, delineator
Arzola, Robert R, project manager


Lima (Pa.)39.91475, -75.43995
Google Map of 39.9147532, -75.43994579999999


Library of Congress

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted.

Library Of Congress

The objects in this archive are from Library of Congress - the nation’s first established cultural institution and the largest library in the world, with millions of items including books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections. The Library provides Congress, the federal government and the American people with a rich, diverse and enduring source of knowledge to inform, inspire and engage them and support their intellectual and creative endeavors.

Disclaimer: A work of the Library of Congress is "a work prepared by an officer or employee" of the federal government "as part of that person's official duties." In general, under section 105 of the Copyright Act, such works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law and are therefore in the public domain. This website is developed as a part of the world's largest public domain archive,, and not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress,

Developed by GetArchive, 2015-2020