Milford School, 3530 West Forty-sixth Street, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
Significance: Milford School was built to serve the elementary school children living in an area in the southwest section of Cleveland once known as "Kouba" for its large Czech population. It was one of a large number of school buildings designed by architect Frank S. Barnum, superintendent of buildings for the Cleveland Board of Education from 1895 to 1914, who is usually credited with ushering in the "modern" era of school construction in Cleveland with his attention to efficient planning and fire safety. The original school building of 1901-02 was virtually doubled in size with the construction of a second building, or "annex," of complimentary design just six years later, a solution commonly employed during this period as the school board attempted to meet the educational needs of a rapidly growing city.
Survey number: HABS OH-2403