Minneapolis Warehouse District, Bounded by North First & Sixth Streets, & North First & North Tenth Avenues, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
Significance: The Minneapolis Warehouse Historic District is the largest concentration of buildings associated with wholesaling, jobbing, and distribution in Minnesota between the years 1865-1930. The district, as defined by the 1989 National Register nomination, covers a thirty-block area west of downtown Minneapolis and contained 159 buildings and three structures in 1987 when written. One structure, a bridge, was razed in 1989. Many of the buildings were designed by the city's most talented architects including: Charles E. Bell, George Emile Bertrand, Christopher Boehme, Cass Gilbert, Warren Hayes, Edwin Hewitt, Harry Wild Jones, Frederick Kees, Franklin Bidwell Long, Gottlieb Magney and William Tusler, Charles Sedgwick, Edward Stebbins, Carl Struck, William Channing Whitney, and engineer Claude Allen Porter (C.A.P.) Turner. Every major architectural style is represented from the Italianate, Queen Anne, and Richardsonian Romanesque to numerous classically-inspired revival styles, and early Twentieth Century Commercial styles. The Minneapolis Warehouse Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in November 1989.
Survey number: HABS MN-110
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 89001937