Mount Lubentia, 601 Largo Road, Largo, Prince George's County, MD
Significance: Probably the best example of Federal-style domestic architecture in Prince George's County. Its interior finish includes exceptionally fine moldings, mantels and built-in cabinets. Its elegance has set it apart from the time it was constructed by Dennis Magruder in 1798, when it was one of only four residences in the mid-county area valued at $1500 or more. Its asymmetrical Federal plan including and elegant open well stairway and formal detailing put Mount Lubentia on par with the finer examples of architecture in the capitol city of Annapolis. In 1814, when the British came through this area during the War of 1812, the county records were brought to Mount Lubentia for safe keeping. The house has remained in the possession of the direct descendants of the original builder; six generations of the Magruder, Beall and Bowie families, from 1798 to the present, have lived at Mount Lubentia.
Survey number: HABS MD-638
Building/structure dates: 1798 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 87001033