Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
National Guard's Hall, 518-20 Race Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA

National Guard's Hall, 518-20 Race Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall517x640
  • save_altMedium827x1024
  • save_altLarge1293x1600
  • save_altOriginal3102x3840
description

Summary

Significance: The National Guard's Hall (also called the Armory of the National Guards) was one of the focal points in Philadelphia during the Civil War. Occupied for a time as a United States army hospital, it was also the destination point of military parades, the scene of much patriotic speechmaking, and the welcome and dismissal point for troops either on furlough or at the end of enlistment. The "grand saloon" on the second floor served not only for military gatherings, but was occasionally the scene of lectures, fairs, concerts, balls, and various meetings. According to its dedication orator, Colonel John W. Farney, this hall was "one of the finest military edifices in our Union, and the only one ever erected by a single volunteer company...a temple of the citizen soldrer..."
Survey number: HABS PA-1015

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
place

Location

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States39.95356, -75.14031
Google Map of 39.9535571, -75.1403129
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Explorenational guard

Explorerace street

Explorenational guard hall