National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Administration Building, 500 North Fifth Street, Hot Springs, Fall River County, SD
See overview historical context HABS No. SD-24 for additional information on the Battle Mountain Sanitarium and the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers.
Significance: The Administration Building is the centerpiece of the Battle Mountain Sanitarium of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (NHDVS). Well-known Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball placed the Administration Building at the crest of a hill overlooking downtown Hot Springs, South Dakota. The tall Mission Revival building with a red tile dome over the center rotunda provided both the visual and operational focal point of the sprawling hospital structure. The rest of the Mission Revival hospital complex was located behind the Administration Building, including the six ward pavilions radiating from the circular connecting corridor and a Mess Hall/Service Building to the rear. When it opened the Administration Building included overnight accommodations for NHDVS board members, staff quarters, a laboratory, dispensary, and an operating room in addition to medical and clerical offices. Medical-related uses such as the operating room and laboratory were moved into updated facilities in the new hospital starting in the 1930s. The Administration Building continues to house office and clinical space for staff and veterans.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2057
Survey number: HABS SD-24-A
Building/structure dates: 1903-1907 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: before 1953 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 11000561