National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Bandstand, 500 North Fifth Street, Hot Springs, Fall River County, SD
The name of the overall site and some individual buildings were edited after the initial photographic survey was transmitted. Previously the site was incompletely called Battle Mountain Sanitarium, and this building was called Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Bandstand. The primary name was changed to National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Bandstand. A secondary name of Hot Springs Veterans Administration Medical Center, Building No. 19 was added. Finally, the name of VA Black Hills Health Care System - Hot Springs Campus was added to Building No. 19 in the secondary name.
See overview historical context HABS No. SD-24 for additional information on the Battle Mountain Sanitarium and the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers.
Significance: The Bandstand was built in 1909 for the entertainment and recreation of the veterans
being treated at Battle Mountain Sanitarium. The pavilion-plan hospital at Battle Mountain Sanitarium and a grouping of residential structures for officer's quarters were designed by Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball and built from 1903-07. The Bandstand was also designed by Kimball and added near the main entrance to the hospital.
Survey number: HABS SD-24-K
Building/structure dates: 1909 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 11000561