National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Engineering, 500 North Fifth Street, Hot Springs, Fall River County, SD
The name of the overall site and some individual buildings were edited after the initial photographic survey was transmitted. Previously the site was incompletely called Battle Mountain Sanitarium, and this building was called Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Engineering. This was changed to National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Engineering. The secondary name was changed to Hot Springs Veterans Administration Medical Center, Building No. 14 and VA Black Hills Health Care System - Hot Springs Campus, Building No. 14.
See overview historical context HABS No. SD-24 for additional information on the Battle Mountain Sanitarium and the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers.
Significance: The Battle Mountain Sanitarium of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (NHDVS) was built between 1903 and 1907. The NHDVS was a federal institution authorized by Congress in 1865 and charged with caring for Civil War veterans disabled by their military service. By 1930 the system had eleven branches and became part of the new Veterans Administration. The Battle Mountain Sanitarium was the tenth NHDVS facility and the only one built exclusively for medical care.
Survey number: HABS SD-24-G
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 11000561