National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Engineer's Quarters, 500 North Fifth Street, Hot Springs, Fall River County, SD
See HABS No. SD-24-S for photographs. See overview historical context HABS No. SD-24 for additional information on the Battle Mountain Sanitarium and the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers.
Significance: Built between 1905 and 1907 as the Engineer's Quarters for the Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Building No. 24 continues to be used as staff housing for the VA Black Hills Health Care System. The pavilion-plan hospital at Battle Mountain Sanitarium and a grouping of residential structures for officer's quarters were designed by Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball. Like military installations in this period, the officer's quarters resembled fashionable suburban architecture and were assigned according to the hierarchy of rank among the leadership. The Engineer's Quarters was one of the smaller, but still well-appointed dwellings. The Sanitarium's Chief Engineer was responsible for looking after the on-site powerhouse, central boiler, and other building systems.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2063
Survey number: HABS SD-24-X
Building/structure dates: 1905-1907 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 11000561