National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Battle Mountain Sanitarium, Grand Staircase, 500 North Fifth Street, Hot Springs, Fall River County, SD
See overview historical context HABS No. SD-24 for additional information on the Battle Mountain Sanitarium and the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers.
Significance: The Grand Staircase was built in 1915 to facilitate pedestrian access between Battle Mountain Sanitarium and downtown Hot Springs. The elaborate sandstone and concrete staircase with seating areas, light standards, and railings replaced a wood stair from 1903. Battle Mountain Sanitarium opened in 1907 on a bluff overlooking downtown. It was the tenth branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. Veterans being treated at the Sanitarium and the staff could more easily navigate the steep grade between the Sanitarium and the local commercial district with this staircase.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2065
Survey number: HABS SD-24-Z
Building/structure dates: 1915 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 11000561