National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Pacific Branch, Streetcar Depot, Corner of Pershing & Dewey Avenues, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA
2014 Leicester B. Holland Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: The Streetcar Depot (or Trolley Station) is a former Southern Pacific Railroad passenger depot (1893-1908), built in the Queen Anne style. The depot is the sole surviving example of sixteen passenger shelters built by the Southern Pacific Railroad.
In 1963, the Streetcar Depot caught the attention of the Historic American Building Survey and was included in the historic report which was documenting the last original National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers barracks building and chapel at the old Pacific Branch in Los Angeles. On February 23, 1972, the depot and chapel were listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The barracks building had already been torn down. Since its listing, not much has changed for the depot, although it has decayed without proper maintenance. As of June 2014, its future was uncertain. The Veterans Administration's long-term plans call for the area around the depot to be redeveloped, and it is not clear if the depot will be preserved or demolished.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2075
Survey number: HABS CA-336-A
Building/structure dates: 1893 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1908 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 72000232