Naval Undersea Warfare Center, East side of Smith & East Streets between Columbia & South Coves, New London, New London County, CT
Significance: Initially built as a fort during the Revolution, the site is significant as a 19th century coastal fort. It is also significant for its use as the Coast Guard Academy (1910-1933), the U.S. Maritime Commission Officers Training School (1938-1945), and as the U.S. Navy's primary underwater communications and sonar research facility (1917-1997).
Survey number: HAER CT-180
Building/structure dates: 1777-1990 Initial Construction