Neuhaus Complex, State Highway 532 & Conty Road 219, Hackberry, Lavaca County, TX
1992 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Second Place
Significance: The Neuhaud Complex, constructed between 1847 and 1881, consists of three primary structures built for the Neuhaus family. Ledwig Eduard Neuhaus immigrated to Lavaca County, Texas, from Ellerburg, Germany, in 1846 founding the settlement he later nicknamed Hackberry. He constructed a two-story fachwerk structure of oak timbers with brick in-fill between 1850 and 1852, which accommodated his family residence and mercantile business. A two-story stone structure was added around the end of the Civil War when business expanded.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-207
Survey number: HABS TX-3388