Newton Memorial Hospital, Children's Pavilion, Terminus of Rathburn Drive, .3 mile southwest of intersection with Glasgow Road, Cassadaga, Chautauqua County, NY
Significance: The Walter L. Rathbun Children's Pavilion is historically significant for its association with the early 20th century tuberculosis treatment movement. The building is architecturally significant as a distinctive example of early 20th century neoclassical eclecticism applied to an institutional building. The Children's Pavilion began constructed in 1926 and was completed in 1928. It was named in honor of Dr. Walter L. Rathbun, superintendent of the Newton Memorial Hospital for his pioneering work in early detection and treatment of tuberculosis. The 60-bed building was designed by architects Ellis W. Beck and Norman M. Tinkham of Jamestown, New York, specifically for the care of children stricken with tuberculosis.
A large porch wraps around three sides of the building, with french doors opening directly into the patient wards. This unusual feature allowed bedridden patients to be wheeled outside onto a secluded, gently sloping, south facing lawn, to take sun baths as part of their medical treatment.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N410
Survey number: HABS NY-6338-A