NIKE Missile Base SL-40, Barracks No. 2, North end of base, southeast of Barracks No. 1 & northeast of Mess Hall, Hecker, Monroe County, IL
Significance: This barrack provided living facilities for personnel stationed at Nike Missile Base SL-40. Standardized drawings indicate that the installation's two barracks housed enlisted men, officers, and non-commissioned officers (N.C.O.). Each barrack contained an officers' lounge, an N.C.O. lounge, several storage rooms, a heater room, a restroom with multiple sinks and toilets, a shower room, and a sleeping room for enlisted men. The building was built in 1958 from standardized drawings approved by the Corps of Engineers, which were designed by the firm of Spector and Montgomery of Falls Church, Virginia. Nike buildings were considered modified emergency buildings. Originally, there were pre-fabricated structures, but were rather unsightly and did not contribute to troop morale and, there fore, were changed to modified emergency design.
Survey number: HAER IL-117-E