No. 61 Dallas Street, Jefferson, Marion County, TX
- Upscale 2x2048x1366
1994 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: Jefferson, Texas was founded in 1841; located at the head of navigation of Big Cypress Bayou, the city prospered as an inland port with direct connections via the Red River to the Mississippi, and became a commercial center for northeast Texas. A wharf was built at the turning basin, and was served by the principal commercial artery, Dallas Street, which was lined with busy commercial enterprises. Throughout the Civil War and Reconstruction, Jefferson flourished with its exports of cotton, lumber and manufactured goods...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N151
Survey number: HABS TX-3405
Building/structure dates: 1859 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1872 Subsequent Work