Northern Commercial Company, Store, 220 Front Street, Eagle, Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, AK
- Upscale 2x2048x1364
Significance: Located on the bank of the Yukon River which permitted stern wheelers to dock immediately alongside building. / Eagle, Alaska, established in 1898, survived the end of the Klondike Gold Rush because of its importance as a military post, as a center for government in the forty mile region, and as a busy trading port on the Yukon River. The Northern Commercial Company's warehouse and store were built on the banks of the Yukon by the Alaska Exploration Company in 1898-99 and, for over fifty years, served this bush community as a general store, a gold exchange, and a mail and telegraph station. These last two historic riverfront commercial buildings symbolize Eagle's past commercial importance to the miner, trappers, and settlers of the Upper Yukon Region.
Survey number: HABS AK-7-B
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 70000919