Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
Northwestern Consolidated Elevator "A", 119 Fifth Avenue South, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN

Northwestern Consolidated Elevator "A", 119 Fifth Avenue South, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall512x640
  • save_altMedium820x1024
  • save_altLarge1281x1600
  • save_altOriginal3074x3840
description

Summary

Significance: Completed in 1908, the Northwestern Consolidated Elevator A is historically significant for tis intimate association with Minneapolis's "West Side Milling District," and particularly for its role in the flour-milling operations of the mills of the Northwestern Consolidated Milling Company, the third great flour-milling combine in Minneapolis. Additionally, it is significant as one of the largest perhaps the largest brick grain elevators ever built, and reportedly the largest in the world at the time of its construction. Brick grain elevators are the rarest of the basic elevator types (wood, steel, brick, tile, concrete). At present it is the only brick elevator in the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District, and one of only a handful in the state of Minnesota.
Survey number: HAER MN-16
Building/structure dates: 1908 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 71000438

person

Contributors

Historic American Engineering Record, creator
Wegman-French, Lysa, transmitter
place

Location

Minneapolis (Minn.)44.97971, -93.26074
Google Map of 44.9797062, -93.2607354
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Exploreelevator

Exploregrain elevators

Explorefifth avenue south