Norwood City Hall, Montgomery & Elm, Norwood, Hamilton County, OH
Significance: The structure is a significant example of classically influenced architecture which embodies the distinctive characteristics of the Second Renaissance Revival style. The building's site has been the location of Norwood's municipal activity since 1881 when its first Town Hall was erected. The land was deeded to Norwood by George Hafer who was the last Mayor of the neighboring independent city of Avondale before it was annexed by the city of Cincinnati. In 1916 the Hafer family also donated a 9' by 6' concrete fountain (which stands in City Halls' adjoining Heritage Park) as a tribute to Norwood's battle against annexation. Due to its central location, historic symbolism and striking architectural form, the Norwood City Hall building is clearly the focal point of this urban, industrial city of 27,000.
Survey number: HABS OH-2134