Oakland Plantation, Plantation Store & Post Office, Route 494, Bermuda, Natchitoches Parish, LA
Suggested address, Rt. 494, is not verifiable in documentation.
1988 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: The Oakland Plantation Store-Post Office building still bears its faded sign, Bermuda, Louisiana, and contains the remnants of its merchandise and stock just as it did in 1968 when it closed the doors to business. Some portion of the store structure precedes the construction of the Manor House (circa 1818-1821) and was used as a service building. The building is of cypress frame construction and was originally roofed in cypress shingles, now in corrugated-sheets of metal. Additions have been made to the sides over the years as needed. The attic storage is reached by a pull down stair near the front door. The structure is very intact with its original hardware and architectural details.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-102
Survey number: HABS LA-1192-O
Building/structure dates: after. 1800- before. 1820 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 79001073