Ohio Soldiers' & Sailors' Home, Library, U.S. Route 250 at DeWitt Avenue, Sandusky, Erie County, OH
- Upscale 2x6180x7680
Significance: The Ohio Veterans' Home was established in 1886 as the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, the result of efforts by the Grand Army of the Republic to ensure state care for sick and destitute Ohio Civil War veterans. The Home opened in November, 1888 with 17 residents. During its peak years it had over 2,000 residents, and since its opening it has served over 55,000 Ohio veterans from all major U.S. conflicts. The name was changed to Ohio Veterans' Home in 1979. Current population is about 550. The Home is the legacy of Ohio's movement in the 19th century to establish state-supported institutions to aid the handicapped, the ill and the destitute. The Library was completed about 1891 as the principal cultural and educational facility at the Home. It had over 5,000 volumes and had newspapers from each of Ohio's 88 counties. Its second floor had a meeting room for use by the local G.A.R. post and other organizations. The Library has been vacant for several years.
Survey number: HABS OH-2360-E