Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
Old Courthouse, Courthouse Green, Williamsburg, Williamsburg, VA

Old Courthouse, Courthouse Green, Williamsburg, Williamsburg, VA

description

Summary

Significance: The Courthouse, built to serve both Williamsburg and James City County, was built between 1770 and 1772. The building housed a courtroom and rooms for justices and juries. The various dimensions of the building are geometrically related. Columns to support the Classical, cantilevered pediment were apparently intended but never installed. The designer is not known, but circumstantial evidence indicates that it was Robert Smith of Philadelphia. The roof and interior of the courthouse were gutted by fire in 1911. The structure was rebuilt immediately within the old walls, with columns under the pediment. In 1932 the building was restored by Colonial Williamsburg, the present owner.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-214
Survey number: HABS VA-528
Building/structure dates: 1772

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
place

Location

Williamsburg (Va.)37.27070, -76.70746
Google Map of 37.2707022, -76.7074571
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html