Old Stone Church, Staunton vic., Augusta County, Virginia
Alternate title: Fort Defiance.
Title from photographer's inventory.
Built by Scotch-Irish Presbyterian under great difficulties, Indian troubles, etc. The fort is built around the church.
Corresponding reference print in LOT 11841-8.
Credit line: Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
Purchase; Frances Benjamin Johnston estate; 1953.
General information about the Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South available at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.csas
Published in: Brock, Henry Irving, Colonial Churches in Virginia. Richmond, VA: The Dale Press, 1930.
Forms part of: Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South (Library of Congress).