Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Wayne County, MI
- Upscale 2x7680x6094
Significance: Orchestra Hall resembles the typical theatre of its day, with a restrained and elegant adaptation of Renaissance style that preceded the exuberant eclecticism of the next decade. It was designed with emphasis on concert requirements, but was fully equipped also for use as a motion-picture theatre. Its appearance and superb acoustics reflect the ability of C. Howard Crane, a Detroit architect who became one of the most notable national and international architects of the "Movie Palace." Crane's Orchestra Hall, Detroit's first true concert hall, was considered to be one of the finest in the country. Built originally to obtain the services of Ossip Gabrilowitsch as permanent conductor of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, during his tenure the hall was the scene of performances by many renowned artists. Later, as the Paradise Theatre, it offered outstanding concert jazz. It was the beneficiary of a successful community-wide historic preservation effort that began in 1970.
Survey number: HABS MI-271
Building/structure dates: 1919 Initial Construction