Oregon State Fairgrounds Grandstand, 2330 Seventeenth Avenue, Northeast, Salem, Marion, OR
Significance: The Oregon State Fairgrounds Grandstand is significant for its association with the Oregon State Fair. Oregon's State Fair was the product of modest beginnings in the form of county fairs beginning in 1853. The State Fair was begun in 1860, and developed into an important social event for the agricultural community of Oregon, expanding to include citizens of Eastern Oregon in the early 20th century. Equestrian events played an important role from the early days of the fair, with prizes given to men and women in horse racing, trotting, and running. The 1929 Oregon State Fairgrounds Grandstand continued the tradition of equestrian events at the Fair. In 1885, the State assumed financial backing of the Fair. The Long Oak Track, a fine one-mile loop, was completed in 1893 with an $11,000 appropriation from the State. The Grandstand, built with Moorish ornament in a symmetrical composition, was located on the Long Oak Track. The Grandstand featured a large shed roof over the seating area, seven bays on each side of the central entrance, and an elaborate frieze and medallions. The Oregon State Fairgrounds Grandstand is also significant as a good example of rare Moorish inspired architecture in Oregon.
Survey number: HABS OR-182
Building/structure dates: 1929 Initial Construction