Penn School Historic District, Brick Church, SC Route 37, 1 mile South of Frogmore, St. Helena Island, Frogmore, Beaufort County, SC
Significance: Part of a complex of buildings of one of the first black schools in the south. This is the oldest building on the complex. Slaves built the church and the pews and took the building over after the Civil War.
Survey number: HABS SC-588-C
Building/structure dates: 1855 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74001824