Pennsylvania Railway Ore Dock, Lake Erie at Whiskey Island, approximately 1.5 miles west of Public Square, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
Significance: When built, the Pennsylvania Railway Ore Dock was the largest ore-unloading dock on the Great Lakes. The dock featured four Hulett unloaders with bucket capacities of 17 tons; a 15-ton capacity ore stocking and rehandling bridge; and a one-million-ton ore storage yard. The Wellman-Seaver-Morgan Company of Cleveland built the dock equipment. The Hulett unloader, invented and developed by Clevelander George H. Hulett during the 1890s, revolutionized the handling of iron ore by reducing labor costs and unloading time. By 1913, Hulett unloaders were in use at almost every port on Lake Erie. Their widespread adoption led to larger boats especially designed to accommodate the Huletts.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1305
Survey number: HAER OH-18
Building/structure dates: 1911-1912 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1992 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 2000 Demolished