Pension Building, 440 G Street Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
Significance: The Pension Building was erected in 1883 at a cost of $900,000, as a memorial to the veterans of the Civil War. From 1885 until 1926 it was occupied by the Bureau of Pensions. The latter years the building was taken over by the General Accounting Office and used by that organization until completion of their new building. It was the annex to the Civil Service Commission, and currently houses the National Building Museum.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-68
Survey number: HABS DC-76
Building/structure dates: 1883 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1959 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after. 1970- before. 1979 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000312