Phelps-Dodge-Palmer Building, 200 West Adams Street, Chicago, Cook County, IL
Significance: Architect Edward Burling, who was trained as a carpenter-builder, established a successful practice in Chicago. His partner, Francis M. Whitehouse, was a former office designer in the firm. The Phelps-Dodge-Palmer Building, designed by Burling & Whitehouse in 1888, is an excellent example of a downtown commercial loft structure of that period. The style of the building, with its brown brick and terra cotta facades, relates closely to the work of Richardson and Burnham & Root of the same era.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-149
Survey number: HABS IL-1124
Building/structure dates: 1984 Demolished
Building/structure dates: 1868 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1920- ca. 1929 Subsequent Work