Phoenix Iron Company, Foundry Building, Main Street at Mill Street, Phoenixville, Chester County, PA
Significance: Iron work began on the banks of French Creek in 1783 and continued, weathering massive changes in ferrous metalworking techniques, for 200 years. The foundry produced castings ancillary to the Phoenix Iron and Steel Company's main business as a manufacturer and fabricator of steel structures. Among these ancillary items were joint blocks used to connect the Phoenix columns of bridges erected by the Phoenix Bridge Company, a wholly owned engineering and fabrication subsidiary of the steel works...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N594
Survey number: HAER PA-493-A
Building/structure dates: 1882 Initial Construction