Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon Railroad, South Hills Junction, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA
Significance: This former 40-inch, narrow-guage railroad was purchased in 1871 by the Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon Railroad Company. In 1909, Pittsburgh Railways Company, lessee, began electrifying and converting the line into a suburban trolley system. In 1964, the Port Authority of Allegheny County acquired the rail line and continued its operation until 1993. This system represents the evolution of rail transportation from steam to electric trolley service.
Survey number: HAER PA-410