Plaza House, 507-511 North Main Street, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA
Significance: Designed by the architectural firm of Kysor & Morgan, it is significant for its historical and architectural contribution to the evolution of the El Pueblo de Los Angeles, the original City of Los Angeles. The building represents the rapid transformation of Los Angeles in the final quarter of the 19th century from an agricultural outpost during the Spanish and Mexican eras to a populous, commercialized city with increasing regional importance. Constructed in 1883, as the surrounding area shed its rural character and became the city's first central business district, it reflects the continuous and evolving use of the 1825 site of the Spanish settlement of El Pueblo de Los Angeles, characterized as "the living composite story of Los Angeles from Indian times prior to 1781 through Spanish, Mexican, and American periods." The Plaza House is a contributor to the Los Angeles Plaza Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1479
Survey number: HABS CA-2799
Building/structure dates: 1883 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 72000231