Point Arguello Coast Guard Rescue Station, Lompoc, Santa Barbara County, CA
- Upscale 2x7680x6100
Drawings delineated by R. Johnson, A. Borgo, 1980
Significance: The U.S. Coast Guard Rescue Station and Lookout Tower at Point Arguello, California, was established on December 17, 1936, and ceased normal operations on December 31, 1941. The site was purchased by the Coast Guard on July 22, 1935, and it remained under their jurisdiction until February 10, 1958, when it was transferred to the U.S. Navy. This site, on an open cove approximately two miles south of the Point Arguello Lighthouse, was selected as a location for a rescue station because of the long history of naval disasters which have occurred on this section of the California Coast. Between the years of 1936 and 1941 the Coast Guard constructed on the site an Administration and Barracks Bldg. (1936), a Garage Bldg. (1936), a small Water Treatment Bldg. (1936), A Flag Tower (1936), a Lookout Tower (1937), a granite rock Breakwater (1939), and a Dock, Marine Railway and Boathouse (1937). All of these structures were designed by the Civil Engineering Office of the Coast Guard in Washington D.C. and they were built on contract by private California construction firms. The architectural imagery evoked was that of the residential Colonial Revival; a style almost universally employed (1900-1940) by the Coast Guard for its many land facilities.
Survey number: HAER CA-6
Building/structure dates: 1936-1939 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1979 Subsequent Work