Prattville Manufacturing Company, Number One, 242 South Court Street, Prattville, Autauga County, AL
Significance: Founded in 1846, the Prattville Manufacturing Company was one of the South's earliest textile mills. A spinning and weaving operation from its inception, the original factory was razed when the owners, Daniel Pratt and associates, decided to expand operations into a new brick picker house and a new three-story brick structure (referred to as "Mill No. 1"), built in 1859. Operations expanded again in 1892 when W.T. Northington and his associates added a second mill ("Mill No. 2"), which largely replicated Mille No. 1 in style and operations. Both mills continued spinning and weaving well into the twentieth century. Production diversified over the years and at different times company operations included knitting, dyeing, and sewing.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N477
Survey number: HAER AL-183
Building/structure dates: 1859 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1892 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1886-1887 Subsequent Work