Public School No. 4, Trenchard Street, Yonkers, Westchester County, NY
Significance: Public School No. 4 is significant as an architecturally distinguished example of public architecture in Westchester County and one of the few buildings of architectural interest in the northeast section of the city of Yonkers. The neo-Georgian style brick school was erected between 1883 and 1930. On the exterior, the school has a unified visual appearance despite the fact that it was erected in six separate building campaigns and that four different architects or architectural firms were involved with its design. The growth of the building reflects the increasing residential development in the surrounding neighborhood. Although it has stood vacant for several years, the two-story and basement school retains many interesting details including bright red brick trim used for quoins and other facade features, original blackboards and corkboards set within wood enframements, four tin ceilings, yellow and red brick wall trim, elegant neo-Federal style assembly room lamps, wrought-iron stair rails, four intact early 20th century wardrobes, and four Batchelder tile water fountains.
Survey number: HABS NY-6298