Republican Schoolhouse, Second & Elm Streets, Ripon, Fond du Lac County, WI
Significance: This little structure was built for school house purposes. In it was held a meeting which was destined to be of great historical significance. This was the one at which the Republican Party was founded. This meeting of the early day politicians and other interested folk was held in this structure on March 20th, 1854. It is of interest to recall that the lot on which the school house was first placed was donated by a Mr. Alvan E. Bovay, who also had the honor of giving the name of the new political party.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-16
Survey number: HABS WI-15
Building/structure dates: 1853 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1908