Reverend Nathan Bracket House, Fillmore Street, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, WV
Significance: Originally constructed in 1857-58 as one of two identical residences for Armory officials, the Brackett House was designed by Superintendent Henry W. Clowe for the Superintendent's Clerk. The Brackett House and its pendant, the Morrell House which was built for the Paymaster's Clerk, were part of the Armory's continuing plan to architecturally embody industrial and administrative reforms. While echoing the architectural design of the Superintendent's and Paymaster's Houses, also on Camp Hill, the Brackett and Morrell Houses nonetheless visually communicated their residents lower rank within the Armory hierarchy. After the Civil War, in 1868, Brackett House and the three former Armory officers' residences on Camp Hill were granted to Storer College, an early African-American college established in Harpers Ferry. For almost a century, the Brackett House was an important Storer College residence. Founders Nathan C. and Louise Brackett lived there for many years, and since that time the building has been known as the Brackett House. Until Storer College closed in 1955, the residence variously housed students, teachers, summer boarders, and even a grocery business. Among the four residences for Armory officials built on Camp Hill, Brackett House has most closely retained its original proportions throughout its history.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N245
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1824
Survey number: HABS WV-283
Building/structure dates: 1858 Initial Construction