Reverend Samuel R. Fisher Stable, 123-125 South Main Street (Rear), Chambersburg, Franklin County, PA
- Upscale 2x7680x6206
Written data includes floor plan.
Significance: In July of 1864, General McCausland, CSA, ordered his troops to burn a large portion of the Borough of Chambersburg. Among the few buildings save from the inferno were four (4) properties fronting on the South Main Street, one of which was 123-125 South Main. Notwithstanding, the owner of the property, Reverend Fisher, did claim $580 for the burning of his stable in the rear of the lot. Most likely, as in the case of many other buildings which had been burn, the masonry portion of Reverend Fisher's stable was reused with only the wooden members and the roof having been replaced. As an architectural example, this building is also significant in that the photographs following the fire and the 1858 land use map indicate a great number of brick stables to the rear of the primary residential properties within two blocks of the Diamond. Today, however, less than 10 of the stables still survive; thus, through attrition alone, this stable has become a part of Chambersburg's historic architectural environment.
Survey number: HABS PA-5155
Building/structure dates: ca. 1865 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1929 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1980 Demolished