Richardson & Robbins Cannery, Kings Highway, Dover, Kent County, DE
- Upscale 2x6144x7680
Significance: Richardson & Robbins, founded in 1856, was the first cannery in the state of Delaware, and a pioneer in the American canning industry. Specializing in the processing and canning of food delicacies such as boned hams and poultry, fancy fruits, and plum pudding, Richardson & Robbins and the R & R label earned an international reputation for quality. The present canning establishment includes the brick cannery building erected in 1881. Though now largely unused, the structure reflects the organization of the canning process in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Survey number: HAER DE-3
Building/structure dates: 1881 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: after 1900 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1947 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1959 Subsequent Work