Roberts-Payne House, Dakota Street, South Pass City, Fremont County, WY
Significance: The building is the only one-and-a-half-story cabin in South Pass City, and the most elaborate remaining residence. Presumably built c. 1890 by Bolivar Roberts, owner of the Carissa Mine, this house was owned by Ernest Smith and later by Janett Payne, who gave it to the Wyoming Recreation Commission in 1972. The house is the only extant example of a two-story "log cabin" in South Pass City. Plans are underway to use the house as a residence for the Superintendent of South Pass City.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-43
Survey number: HABS WY-43
Building/structure dates: ca. 1890 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 70000670