Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 105, South Avenue between Gillespie Avenue & Second Street, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large, Greek Revival, manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. According to the original plan, each shop was intended to have its own boiler house, but only two such plants were built. The Boiler House for Shop C was the first, completed in 1872. It supplied steam for power and heating throughout the nineteenth century. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Shop C Boiler House forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Shop C Boiler House is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.
Survey number: HAER IL-20-K
Building/structure dates: 1872 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1918 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000057