Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 2, Terrace Drive between Gillespie Avenue & East Avenue, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for construction of ten large manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. These core manufacturing structures were supplemented by a variety of administrative, residential, maintenance, storage, and utility buildings. Although only a few buildings were erected prior to Rodman's death in 1871, subsequent construction under Rodman's nineteenth-century successors closely conformed to the original plan. The Subaltern Officer's Quarters is one of three limestone residences for junior staff constructed during 1871 to 1874 under the Rodman plan (see also HABS Nos. IL-1001G, IL-1001H). Located in a residential district on the island's north-central shore, the buildings reflected the general Italianate detailing of the arsenal's Commanding Officer's Quarters, designed by Rodman and completed in 1871 (see HABS No. IL-1001E). An excellent example of Italianate architecture, the Subaltern Officer's Quarters still fulfills its original function as a staff residence. It is part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District.
Survey number: HABS IL-1001-F
Building/structure dates: 1874 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 18q4 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1898 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000057