Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 360, Gillespie Avenue between Rodman Avenue & North Avenue, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for construction of ten large manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. These core manufacturing structures were supplemented by a variety of administrative, residential, maintenance, storage, and utility buildings. ... Situated immediately west of the core manufacturing shops, the Headquarters was completed in 1888. It was one of the last buildings erected under the general scope of the Rodman plan. The first permanent structure at the arsenal designed solely for administrative purposes, it remained the arsenal's main office buildings for over three decades. In the 1930s, it was remodeled into officers' family housing and continues in that capacity to the present day. The building is part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District.
Survey number: HABS IL-1001-C
Building/structure dates: 1888 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1936 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1948 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1957 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000057