Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 66, Rodman Avenue between Third & Fourth Streets, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL

Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 66, Rodman Avenue between Third & Fourth Streets, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL

 
 
description

Summary

Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten large, Greek Revival, manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. Under construction from 1878 to 1886, Shop H was the ninth to be completed. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Shop H forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Shop H is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.
Survey number: HAER IL-20-D
Building/structure dates: 1886 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1916 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1918 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1947 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000057

date_range

Date

1969 - 1980
person

Contributors

Historic American Engineering Record, creator
Rodman, Thomas Jefferson
place

Location

create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html