Rose Barn, Emmitsburg Road (U.S. Route 15), Gettysburg, Adams County, PA
Significance: It is located on the 225-acre George Washington Rose Farm. The barn was constructed approximately 1812, and became a battlefield landmark during the second day of the battle of Gettysburg. At that time, Confederate infantryman of Semmes' Georgia Brigade took shelter there to avoid the cannonading of Union artillery at the Peach Orchard. While here General Semmes was mortally wounded during the second and third days of the battle. A number of Confederate soldiers were once buried in the immediate vicinity of the barn.
The Rose Barn is one of two barns in Gettysburg Park with stone gables. It incorporated a stable area in the lower section with a driving floor and two hay mows in the upper section. The exterior of the barn has two wood frame lean-to sheds on each gable end. The roof was destroyed in a 1934 windstorm and the barn was allowed to deteriorate. The National Park Service acquired the site in 1958.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N283
Survey number: HABS PA-5348
Building/structure dates: ca. 1812 Initial Construction