Rose Hill, Woods Road, Tivoli, Dutchess County, NY
- Upscale 2x2048x1364
Significance: John Watts de Peyster (1821-1906) purchased land at Snake Point from Eugene Livingston, his wife's cousin, of the adjacent Teviot. In 1843, he had erected a large Tuscan Villa which he named Rose Hill. The Tuscan villa was then popular for country estates. Flanking wings and a tower containing a library were added later. The estate also included flower gardens, stables and farm buildings. After de Peyster's death, Rose Hill became the Leake and Watts Orphan House. Dorothy Day, a leader of the Catholic Worker Movement, purchased Rose Hill in 1964. The Catholic Worker Movement operated Rose Hill as a farm until 1978. Rose Hill is one of twenty-one contiguous estates along the east bank of the Hudson River between Stratsburg and Tivoli, New York.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-298, FN-299, FN-300
Survey number: HABS NY-5626
Building/structure dates: 1843 Initial Construction